Offers education materials to tailor for your site’s needs in communicating the evidence and recommendations for managing postoperative nausea and vomiting
The PONV Toolkit provides additional information and materials to inform providers of the incidence, impact, pathophysiology, risk factors of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Some quality champions may wish to feature the Overview presentation at the department meeting to provide some context for PONV and then share prophylaxis or treatment recommendations at a second meeting. Other site champions may take portions of each of the three presentations to create a comprehensive overview of the topic. All presentations are downloadable as Power Point presentations and can be modified to meet your site educational needs.
The PONV reference guide is a one-page tool to either be disseminated as a summary of the literature in an email attachment or printed and posted in a breakroom.
The PONV toolkit focuses on the surgical adult population at this time. Supplemental materials will be added over time to address the pediatric and obstetric populations.
- PONV Overview: Impact, Pathophysiology, and Risk Factors
- PONV Recommendations for Prophylaxis
- PONV Recommendations for Treatment
- PONV Reference Guide
- Gan TJ, Diemunsch P, Habib AS, Kovac A, Kranke P, Meyer TA, Watcha M, Chung F, Angus S, Apfel CC, Bergese SD, Candiotti KA, Chan MT, Davis PJ, Hooper VD, Lagoo-Deenadayalan S, Myles P, Nezat G, Philip BK, Tramèr MR, Society for Ambulatory Anesthesia: Consensus guidelines for the management of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Anesth Analg 2014; 118:85–113
- Elvir-Lazo OL, White PF, Yumul R, Cruz Eng H: Management strategies for the treatment and prevention of postoperative/postdischarge nausea and vomiting: an updated review. F1000Res 2020; 9
- Kovac AL: Comparative Pharmacology and Guide to the Use of the Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Antagonists for Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting. Drugs 2016; 76:1719–35
- Jokinen J, Smith AF, Roewer N, Eberhart LHJ, Kranke P: Management of postoperative nausea and vomiting: how to deal with refractory PONV. Anesthesiol Clin 2012; 30:481–93
- Hines S, Steels E, Chang A, Gibbons K: Aromatherapy for treatment of postoperative nausea and vomiting. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2018; 3:CD007598
- Maghami M, Afazel MR, Azizi-Fini I, Maghami M: The effect of aromatherapy with peppermint essential oil on nausea and vomiting after cardiac surgery: A randomized clinical trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2020; 40:101199
- Lee A, Chan SKC, Fan LTY: Stimulation of the wrist acupuncture point PC6 for preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2015:CD003281
- Agarwal A, Bose N, Gaur A, Singh U, Gupta MK, Singh D: Acupressure and ondansetron for postoperative nausea and vomiting after laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Can J Anaesth 2002; 49:554–60
- Chen J, Tu Q, Miao S, Zhou Z, Hu S: Transcutaneous electrical acupoint stimulation for preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting after general anesthesia: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Int J Surg 2020; 73:57–64