Initiative for Multicenter Pragmatic Anesthesiology Clinical Trials (IMPACT)
This award was established by leaders of academic anesthesiology organizations that recognized there was a need to conduct large pragmatic trials in order to answer important questions in anesthesiology-related research.
Although there are several successful anesthesiology clinical trial networks around the world, there is no collaborative network in the United States. In an initial attempt to address this important opportunity, a consortium of academic anesthesiology organizations launched an initiative in 2018 to stimulate pragmatic research in the US. in collaboration with our colleagues in Canada (PACT) and elsewhere.
This effort was conceptualized and endorsed by organizations, which have as a common goal the advancement of knowledge in anesthesiology and the enhancement of care in perioperative medicine, critical care, pain management, and peri- and post-partum care. These organizations included:
- Association of University Anesthesiologists (AUA)
- Early-Stage Anesthesiology Scholars (eSAS)
- Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research (FAER)
- International Anesthesia Research Society (IARS)
- Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists (SOCCA)
- Multicenter Perioperative Outcomes Group (MPOG)
- Canadian Perioperative Anesthesia Clinical Trials Group (PACT)